Thursday, March 11, 2010

Visting Guandong China in March

I am on my way to Guandong Province, China. I will be visiting five major cities in this most exciting area: Guangzhou, Foshan, Shenzhen, Shantou, and Zhuhai. I will be visiting high schools in each of these areas, meeting with bright, young Chinese students who are looking to USA universities and colleges for their collegiate preparation. I will be telling the story of Wake Forest University to educators, parents, and high school students. This opportunity enables me to weave an early thread of my life back into these years. From 1977-1981, as some of you know, I lived in Taipei, Taiwan and spent a lot of time learning a challenging language for most Americans--Mandarin Chinese. And now, after all of these years, I am able to use those language skills in my work in higher education. Those years I worked with Chinese friends in congregations and worship centers, challenging others to consider the power of faith and spirituality in their life and work. I am still about this process after all of these years but with a different focus. I am delighted to be thinking about the power of education and the opportunities for transformation that learning can bring about. Education can bring about change and can create common opportunities and colloboration for a successful future for both China and the United States. I am delighted to have this opportunity. I will try to provide impressions of this most interesting culture and their place in this ever-changing global market.

2 comments:

  1. You are now re-entering the orbit of an earlier life...WOW! I'm sitting here at my keyboard thinking of all the other transits of your years.
    Words that stick in my mind from a long lost poem:
    "There are moments when your orbiting history
    passes you so close
    you can smell its breath,
    you can reach your hand out
    and touch it on its flank...."

    Peace & Love,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Bill, I did just that--- I could smell it and touch it. And with the language could embrace it (Your SBC Cooperative Program dollars at work!) Hoping to see you on campus soon!

    ReplyDelete